One objective that is always top of mind for instructors is student success. What do students need from their instructors and from their school in order to succeed? The topic of success may be top of mind for instructors, but it may be challenging to find ways to discuss it with the students themselves. Try our tips for starting the discussion and helping your students find success.

Student success

We surveyed hundreds of instructors asking, “Do you discuss the topic of success with your students?”

The topic of student success

The majority of instructors, 89%, said “Yes,” they do discuss the topic of success with their students, while 11% do not. Sometimes the challenge is simply starting this conversation out on the right foot. Ensure that your students know you are someone they can trust and depend on for reliable guidance.

For more detailed advice on establishing this type of relationship with your students, visit our blog post, “Building Rapport with Students (and Others).

Classroom resources

Another obstacle to student success is the resources you have to work with. We asked instructors, “Are there resources that would improve student success that your institution does not provide to you?”
Resources for student success

A very fortunate 54% of instructors indicated they have all the resources they need to achieve student success in their classrooms. However, the other 46% of instructors reveal that there are indeed resources that would help their students, but they don’t have access to them.

Finding success

For more insight on the matter, we also asked instructors, “What resources would help your students be more successful?” Many instructors indicated that students simply need better time management, organizational, and critical thinking skills — you’ll find tips for fostering all of these right here on the Engaging Minds blog.

One instructor explains that students require: “Mobile device and access to up-to-date quality software at an affordable price.  Smart classrooms.” If you feel your classroom is in need of better access to technology, make the suggestion to your department chair or volunteer to participate in committee planning meetings. The first step is to make your students’ needs known.

Another instructor shared that her school’s “Tutoring center sometimes help motivate students. Students most of the time know the answer but they just need enforcement and someone to tell them they are heading the right way.” Many students simply may not know the variety of campus resources available to them. Take time to recommend various student resources, such as tutors, writing labs, and workshops.

What resources do you wish you had in your classroom? Share your thoughts below.